Monday 2 December 2013

Winter Series continues...

A break in the CX calendar for the team coincided well with more MTB action from the Thetford Winter Series, with Nick Towers, Nick Popham and Ross Marriott making the journey eastwards for some action.

Nick T took 7th in the 4hr Vet race, Nick Popham 5th in the 2hr Vet race, and Ross managed a superb 2nd place in the 2hr Junior men.


Ross: I was happy with 2nd in my first ever two hour race. It was good to get a change from the 40 minute British Cycling races I was racing as an U16 last year! I had a good start and was 1st into the first corner but I backed off going into the first bit of singletrack, and the rider that finished in first place attacked and I never saw him again during the race. For the first 3/4 of a lap I rode with another junior rider, but then he attacked on a long fire road. I then rode on my own until catching the 2nd place junior on the start of ,y 4th and final lap, and I managed to open the gap up to 5 minutes before I finished,




Is there a shutter speed fast enough for Towers!?
Nick T: 7th place in the 4hr vets to go alongside 7th for R1 last month. Yes, I started a little too hard and took longer than I'd have liked to settle in, but overall my performance was where it needed to be for this time of year. No complaints then!


Nick P: After the 3 hr drive it was great to get out the car , 9am and the atmosphere was true MTB racing. Quick nip down to sign on which is nice and easy then back to the car for warm up - a good 20min to blow the 2 dgree temp away. At 2.30 we went down and started to line up and get our gridding just behind the seniors & young lads. At 2.40 we were off with a massive sprint up a long hill. I sat 4th behind Antony White and we all sat together for the first lap. On the long stretch I pushed for the front and led the race for 1/2 a lap (nice - enjoyed that!) then backed off behind Ant again so as to not over do it. 2nd lap one of the seniors took off and that started to split us up. I missed my pit man so had to do without a bottle but a senior shared his - top man! Pushed hard on 3rd and 4th lap felt strong , we had been told last lap so I was on it pushing all the way to the finish. Great to be back on the mountain bike race circuit.



No comments:

Post a Comment