Wednesday 24 July 2013

(It really is) Summer Series

After a spell of weather that came close to rivalling the fabled heatwave of 1976 (only vet racers will remember this!), it was no surprise that MK Bowl was closer to 'Dust Bowl' on Friday for Round 10 of the FNSS!

With both vet series leader Nick and NB Team Director Paul in action for Naked Bikes, there was double the opportunity for success.

Nick came close to another victory, with only a tyre burp standing in his way of the top step.


"I should have been first tonight! Lead until 4th lap - burped the rear tyre bouncing down a horrible off camber bank. Left with a squidgy rear end for a lap with position too tight to stop and sort it. Even trickier handling for the last lap. Managed to catch back to a couple of bike lengths, but with a short dog leg finish, getting back into 1st wasn't going to happen. So 2nd place and 99 points instead of 100 - series points 592.5 from a possible 600 and still leading - 3 scoring rounds to go. Just hoping for some strong results now to bump up my best 6 scores."

Cycling proficiency course with a flat tyre anyone?!


Paul was on similarly good form, racing with the seniors, and throwing himself into the deep end of the world of 29er racing!

"Milton Keynes would be my first outing on my new 29er Forme Winscar, and after meeting up with Nick and pre riding the course maybe it wasnt the best race to learn how a 29er bike feels! There was a good deal of singletrack along with some tight switch backs up some small but steep climbs and after spending most of the pre lap off the bike working out how to get the Forme around the tight bits I was a little worried . Back at the start Nick suggested a warm up  - anyone who knows Nick knows how dedicated he is and today this consisted of going up and down the step bowl sides - you can see why Nick is currently leading the vetern championship!

My legs now burning and Nick still warming up I was ready for the start . Flat out down the bowl sides I really could feel why everyone goes on about how much better 29ers are. I slipped into around 10th and set about going flat out for a hour! After the first lap I was feeling good but after the pre lap I had let some air out the rear tyre (too much!) and on the grass and tarmac I was struggling to keep a good pace and getting caught. Thankfully back on the gravel and single track the Forme was mega and I was able to catch back up.

Come lap 4 I was in 15 and on the tail of 14th , then on the single track I managed to pass him and pull away, pushing on and following some fast vets I came home in 14th ! Not a win or top 10 but for me I was very happy. I am also currently 14 overall in the series with more rounds still to go. I'm hoping I can push for top ten overall  - dreaming maybe but that's my goal!"

Well done to both Nick and Paul!

In other news, a new team addition, Joshua Wells-Walling managed an impressive 11th Junior Male in the National XC Champs up in Glasgow. Hopefully we'll be able to report some details of this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment