Tuesday 3 September 2013

Cobbles and 'cross

A working Victorian Town is not exactly the usual location for a CX race, but Nick Popham swapped muddy fields for cobbles when he and his son Josh took on the Queen Victoria Cyclocross in Blists Hill, Ironbridge this weekend.

Nick's race wasn't without incident though...

"After a last minute entry and 2 cyclocross builds completed we arrived for the 7pm race. Josh is in youth now and did 30mins to get a respectable 12th. I had a great start and we caught the seniors at the bridge and took to the front. Sadly my 1/10 xx1 build was a fail as my chain came off and loads passed me (not the last chain off too!)

Ground needed to be made up so the hammer came down , Josh was in the pits so got me the spare bike from last year, and that's was it, passing rider after rider to finish 4th in vets (3min 10sec off our leader) I felt fresh and not over done and did another lap as a cool down. The atmosphere was brilliant through the Victorian town past the open chip shop and pub with the streets filled with spectators."

Nick in action, proving too fast for his new team kit to catch up with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment