Monday 30 September 2013

'Cross Roundup

Some great team results from another packed weekend of Cyclocross, including action at the 3 Peaks race.

Saturday saw Matt and Rich racing at Shipley Park in Round 4 of the NDCXL. A fast, dry course meant no dismounts, and no need to drop out of the big ring!

Rich managed 12th V40, and Matt's ever-improving form saw him take 4th place in the seniors.

Matt:

"Rd 4 of the NDCXL was always going to be a hard round as the course is fast and it has a fair bit of climbing in it. The sun was shining and conditions were top notch, well 20 degrees plus for cross this time of year was crazy.

I did a few warm up laps and felt sluggish -  I think my cold from last week was making me feel off.
Anyway my race started and I missed my pedal so I started a little further down than normal, but on the 3rd corner the front runners had a big pile up so I had to pick my way around that lot. I settled in picking riders off on the first few laps and was riding in 5th and felt ok when I got going just missing a little top end .

Most of the race I was riding on my own so set my own tempo, but on the last lap I had company so had to attack and gain a place  to 4th overall. Happy with the result overall and ready for the next one."



Matt on his way to 4th Senior
 
 
Rich, wishing there was a 'pale and skinny' category!


On the Sunday Nick Popham was racing on home turf at Cannock, and delivered a great performance to take 3rd V40, 15th overall.

Nick:

"After  lounging around and doing lap board and bell for Pete Harris' race, pre laps needed to be done. Lots of roots so kept dropping the pressure on the tubs to 24 psi -  just right to bang over the roots
My son had a great race sharing my bikes, and as Pete Harris said he finished with a smile and loved it.
 
2pm line up gridded 2nd by Darren Atkins and other front line friends Gary, Steve, Keith and Phil
2.15 whistle went and it was game on. I settled into 5th but a mistake by people on the log meant a crash with some of the riders catching us. Steve went down my and Garmin went flying. We got back on our bikes, bruised a little but that's racing.
 
I caught up with Gary in 3rd and sat on him catching him in the technical bits and he put it in during the long stretches.  On the last lap I planned to take him before technical section but his chain came off, and I was off passing 4 seniors before I finished (and not getting lapped by senior Dan Booth from Hope who started 2 min before us was good!)"
 
 
Nick never loses his helmet in the carpark!
 

Josh  definately had the hardest race of the weekend though, facing up for the first time to the monster that is the 3 Peaks Cyclocross race, a gruelling feast of hike-a-bike, road and offroad action.

Josh:

"Riding the three peaks was an experience rather than a race! Getting blown around like a kite with a bike can't be classed as racing but rather a fight, a fight to stay on your feet and the drive to keep moving up mounds that are better referred to as walls rather than hills. Heart rate beating out of my chest rather than in it was a memory I won't be forgetting soon, nor will I be forgetting the endless up hills and un even steps.....Of hell.
 
The race as a whole was amazing, a one of beast of an event with nothing in comparison. My dad spoke wise words before the event describing it as "the male giving birth" This was definitely the right comparison. I'll be returning next year with the epic conquest of going sub 4 hours. Bike preparation and physical prep went well, feeling strong until the first climb that put me into a state of shock and doubt if I was even going to make the top of the first climb let alone finish."

Despite a puncture Josh delivered a superb 4hr28 time!

No comments:

Post a Comment