Monday 28 October 2013

A big day out....

Sunday saw a great team turn-out for Naked Bikes at the West Midlands CX League race at Misterton near Lutterworth, with Nick P, Matt and Rich on the bikes, and Ben, Lee and Mark on the sidelines (with cowbell!)

Welland Valley CC's course was a superb mix of grass, pavement and singletrack, with a few hills thrown in too. With just a light scattering of rain in the morning, conditions were perfect.

As the youngest of the racers on the day, Matt went off first in the seniors.

Matt:

"Misterton has always been a firm favourite of mine, I've had so many good battles over the years and this year was no different.
The seniors race started very fast and I struggled to match the early pace as I've had a month off racing but soon enough some riders started to suffer. I slowly wound it up over the first half of the race and got into second place 30 sec back from the leader but slowly found my top end power lacking somewhat .
On the second from last lap two rides passed me and I had no answer so had to settle for 4th on the day  - not that bad ! Still more work to be done.
I had a fantastic time and had great support from the Naked Bikes lads with cowbells and shouting. Misterton did not disappoint - many thanks goes to organiser Dean Barnett and Welland Valley"
Matt in action



 
Vets Nick P and Rich started a minute after the seniors...

Rich

"After a disappointing race last week, I just wanted to get my mojo back and have some fun racing. Having to start from the back of the grid added to the challenge a little, but it gave me some overtaking practice at least. Absolutely loved the course - most enjoyable 'cross course I've raced all season. Was happy to get 10th Vet40 on the day."

Rich refusing to be beaten by a bearded MTB singlespeeder

Nick P managed an excellent 7th V40

Nick:

"After a gridding issue due to commisaring the last couple of week was sorted (any competitive cycling in the UK is run by commissaries so proud to be involved in an important role) I was gridded 5th in the front line.

Another fast start on a fantastic course, very slippy by the pits with a climb to the finish line before heading onto the circuit. There was a great log dismount then a double switchback that I was able to ride every lap. Then over the challenging root to a bunny hop point on the descent close to the tree to lead us to the side of the lake and then just a case of keeping the power on.
My pace was a bit down on the year before from battering CX and MTB seasons back to back and the effort of winning MTB regional champs twice in a row.
Last few laps were my strongest, passing a young Jewson lad and a Max Gear rider who chased me to the line for a sprint finish - but the old man got it!
A good result with a lot of top local lads turning up."

Nick P racing to 7th V40


All photos above courtesy of Ian Nutt - check out his Flickr stream for more amazing shots from the race

Leicester Mercury feature is here

No comments:

Post a Comment