Monday 7 October 2013

Viking Raid

The Viking Challenge is a 50km off-road event held annually in the Vale of Belvoir. This area is a bit unusual for the East Midlands in that it has both some altitude and some off road trails.

The event has a history of alternating between 'nice sunny day out' and 'horrendous mudfest', so it's good to see from the photo below that the Naked Bikes riders got a dose of sunshine!

Paul, Josh, Mark and Matt all rode the event, quoted by Paul as 'a cracking day out!'

Matt:

"Me, Mark , Paul and Josh all rode the Viking challenge 50km. We had a steady start as we started later and just turned up speed when we got going. Had a good day out, but it was busy so overtaking was the order of the day. Got round in 2 hrs 15 mins wih 3 stops so not too bad!"

Paul:

"It was a last minute decision to do the Viking Challenge, and it was worth the £25 entry ..... We arranged to meet at 9am, the sun was out and the skies were blue! Perfect day for riding with your team mates ..

Andy had set off early and rode over 20 miles from his house and was already out when we signed on so it was myself, Matt Barrett, Mark Proudman and Josh Wallings.

 9:30 was our set off time and we just made the start but missed the chance to nip to the toilet so just up the hill 3 Naked Bikes riders stopped in a field for a toilet break! This put us right at the back of the 9:30 group ... With Matt and Josh on the front we was flying, Mark sticking with me pushing me along .. It was great riding along in a Naked Bikes mtb train ... Keeping up with the lads for as long as I could was bloody hard for me as it takes me ages to warm up and I am not anywhere near the guys' standards so I had told them to push on without me ...

Now on my own I could settle into my own pace catching a lot of riders and getting around at a good pace and enjoying the ride which I was really enjoying and felt great .. Arriving at the finish and seeing Jo and Sophie is always good and in a respectable time -  I was happy with my ride

2014 training plan starts in November and I cannot wait ....!"

Despite the photo, Paul didn't tackle the event in the buggy!

No comments:

Post a Comment