Monday 19 August 2013

The legacy....

Anyone who watched the MTB Olympics last year will have noticed that the Hadleigh course had a few 'features' that looked a bit tricky, from drops through to rock gardens, not to mention some serious climbs.

With the final round of the BC National Points XC Series  held there this weekend, it was time for some of the Naked Bikes team to find out just how tricky the course was in the flesh.

From Paul's report, it sounds like the answer was "pretty tricky"!


Paul, realising that he's riding the Olympic MTB course blind!

"Well that was a experience! With reports from Saturday practice of over 20 broken bones I can honestly say I've never been so sh*t scared and excited at the same time doing a race in my life (as my 157bpm HR at the start line shows!)

After missing the pre lap time and having phone call from Chris telling me how hard and mental it was the plan was to sit on Chris' wheel for the first lap.

So, off like the clappers up the first hill and with Chris behind me I was now riding the Olympic course blind.  I seriously don't advise that! After going off way to fast and not knowing the course the first few hills hit me hard as I wasn't warmed up or ready for them and I started to struggle on the hill sections.

The down hill sections were mega and with rocks ready to take you out at anytime you had to be on your game. With Chris now past me and shouting out the lines I tried to stick with him then after a rocky section about 3/4 round the rear felt not right. Flat! With no repair kit on the bike it was game over.


Overall impressions = mental. Serious balls needed for that, especially to go at speed! Respect to everyone who competed, finished or didn't finish. To go out and try and do it takes guts, after all it was built for the Olympics and the best in the world so it's not going to be easy."


The smile suggests that this is a 'before' shot!
Chris styles it through the rocks


Chirs met a similar fate to Paul with a flat himself, as well as having an over the bars.

A massive well done to Andy 'Slogger' Faulknall who was testing the new team bike out for 2014 - he managed to finish, despite being sick. Twice! Nick Popham also put in a sterling performance in the Vet category, finishing 20th



No comments:

Post a Comment