Monday 12 August 2013

The weekend roundup....

Another busy weekend for the Naked Bikes race team, with riders in action at the FNSS, Midlands XC and down in Brighton at the Big Dog.

Reports are coming in of riders' exploits starting with Paul's FNSS battles:

"After 7 days off the bike and training while on holiday I returned home on Thursday ready to do a full weekend racing fnss on Friday and midlands xc on Sunday. I knew Fridays race might hurt a little due to the lack of riding and it did ! Lol. The race started as a mass start which to be honest was good, after a long grass straight to get the legs going and a small wooded section I tried to settle myself down as my heart rate was hitting 197 bpm! I tagged onto the back of a few vets and settled down, I could feel myself getting faster and it felt good passing the vets and catching up some seniors. After forgetting to take my lock out off on the back rugged section and nearly having a off I got my head down and pushed to catch the guy I could see in front. After catching him on the back straight and going through the finish with the bell going for the last lap I sat on his back wheel to help with the head wind and planned how I was going to beat him. Sitting on his back wheel still and pushing him on the rugged back section he blew and I passed him got my head down and pushed. I wasn't going to let him back past ! Just in front was a vet so I decided to try and push more and catch him and after the last steep hill I was on his wheel on the back straight and passed him before the finish.
13 in senior and a few more points for the overall series in the bag . Overall a good race that wasn't as bad as I was expecting if I could just get myself a minute faster per lap I'd be in the top 10! But it's still my first year racing it will come. "


The 'Nicks' were in action at the weekend too, with both putting in some sterling performances. Mr Towers took 5th vet at FNSS, with Mr Popham taking 4th vet at the Midlands XC, putting him 3rd in the series overall.

Nick Popham at the Midlands XC



Rich was racing by the seaside down in Brighton at the Big Dog 6hr. A tough course with some vicious little climbs and steep woodland singletrack took it's toll on the assembled riders and saw Rich coming home 8th solo vet. Rumours of too much candyfloss and chips on the pier before the race are hotly denied!


Rich might not be the prettiest one in the photo, but at least he's putting the effort in! (Photo courtesy Jon Brooke)




No comments:

Post a Comment